Product Videos Increase Sales
Product Videos are proven to be very effective for increasing sales on e-commerce sites, both B2C and B2B. Most all e-commerce sites feature photos of their products. Photos are essential to sales, but research shows that having e-commerce videos on a site improves sales, increases customer confidence, creates a more positive impression of the brand, and significantly reduces returns. Numerous studies have been done and the conclusions are very clear. You will sell more products if you feature product videos.
Product Videos provide more information
This product video uses 3D animation of the product to demonstrate all the configurations and options available.
Important Stats for Product Videos on E-Commerce Sites
We’ve gathered data from several recent surveys to show you how significant the effects of videos are on sales.*
- Visitors who view product videos are 64% to 85% more likely to purchase after watching a video.
- Shoppers who viewed a video were 144% more likely to add to cart.
- 58% of customers said they view brands with product videos as more trustworthy.
- 96% said they found videos helpful to making purchasing decisions
- 93% reported using video for post purchase instruction
- Product videos reduce returns by nearly 75%
What Style of Product Video is Most Effective?
Product videos come in many styles. Some things to consider are what you need to communicate to have the most impact. Is the product complicated or very new technology? If so you may need an explainer style video. If the product needs a visual demonstration of its capabilities then a demonstration video is ideal. Some products just need brand awareness so the most effective approach might be a lifestyle video where you show people in your target demographic using the product and enjoying it, getting some benefit from it or just having fun.
How much should I spend on Product Videos?
There are many e-commerce videos online today produced at various production value levels from very high end to very simple. At the low end, you can pull out the iPhone and shoot video of someone using or demonstrating the product, or at the other end hire a professional production company where the cost can vary from a few thousand to tens of thousands. Here are a few considerations to help you decide.
- What image do I want to project? If your customers are very sophisticated and they are used to seeing high quality videos from your competitors a cheap homemade video could have a negative effect.
- What is my current sales volume? Consider the statistics cited above and determine how long will it take to see a return on investment.
- Do all of my products need explanation? You might want to choose certain ones that are not as easily understood or have features that need to be demonstrated in a video.
- Compare price and quality. If you shop for quotes from professional producers don’t just shop price, shop value. If a few more dollars will get you a much better product it is probably worth the additional investment.
- Remember the video has tremendous value beyond your website! Videos are great for marketing on social media, linked to in emails, and can easily be embedded by product review sites and bloggers.
Here are a few product videos we’ve produced to demonstrate the different styles and approaches to online e-commerce video.
Spokesperson – Demonstration
Mobile App Demo or Tutorial
3D Models Mixed with 2D Character Animation
*sources: Animoto Survey, Internet Retailer, AuthoritySEO
[button align=”left” link=”http://www.howitworksmedia.com/e-commerce-video/” margin=”20″]View our Portfolio[/button]